Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Blog 10

1. Purpose for homework?

The purpose of homework is to provide students the opportunity to practice, review and apply knowledge that was learned in the classroom (Hill & Flynn, 2006, page 77). Homework is meant to re-expose students to the topics and concepts that were previously taught in classroom. Homework is also a way for teachers to check the students’ understanding and comprehension of the given materials and determine what the next teaching points will be. Homework should always be at the independent level of the student so that frustration and discouraging doesn’t occur.

2. What constitutes as meaningful homework?

It is a priority of teachers to give students meaningful homework. Meaningful homework helps students practice skills that were already taught in the classroom or will soon be taught. Teachers need to make sure that what they give as homework will not beyond the level of the student or exceeds a long amount of time to accomplish. The objective of my homework is to emphasize the importance of critical thinking, reading, writing and math. I hope that through the course of the school year, the homework assignments will get easier because they have grown as learners.

3. What are my objectives of homework for students?

My objectives of homework are varied to meet individual student’s needs and topics. Students will engage in meaningful and thought provoking homework that will help them grow as learners. My homework plan emphasizes to the students (and parents) the importance of reading and writing. I want my students to read and write as much as possible so that the task becomes easier and more enjoyable for them.

4. How will I provide feedback?

I want my students to learn to be in charge of their learning. Providing a class designed rubric for each week’s homework assignments will help the students understand the homework expectations, be able to grade themselves accordingly and be prepared to discuss their chosen grade to me (and sometimes to classmates). In the beginning of the school year, I will show the class examples of previous student’s homework (names removed). I will discuss what I expect and how I responded to the example’s homework. Flynn & Hill point out that students, especially ELL students, benefit greatly from seeing homework examples (2006, page 79). I will provide feedback to the students through rubrics, discussion and comments in letter form. I will provide feedback to parents and guardians through monthly email updates (unless something needs to be addressed right away), at parent teacher conferences and telephone calls if desired.

5. How do I incorporate technology into the communication feedback?

Technology is the most current way to communicate to parents and faculty members. Though, teachers need to keep in mind the home life of their students and realize that not every family owns a computer. For those students who have computers at home, they can participate in a variety of learning destinations that incorporate technology such as finding articles, conducting research on topics or of interest, making power point presentations, typing assignments on word or communicate with the teacher via email. Incorporating technology is a great way to promote student learning and enthusiasm.

6. How will I make it clear and understandable for students, parents and ELL students?

To make homework clear to parents, students and ELL students, I will use simple and direct sentences. The assignments (and when I discuss the assignments with the students in class) will focus only on important information. Hill & Flynn state that, “Teachers should be clear about the purpose of homework. The teacher needs to state whether the assignment is designed for practicing a new skill, to introduce a new topic or help students elaborate on already introduced content” (2006, page 10). I will state the purpose of the assignment, read the directions, state my expectations and discuss the grading rubric. Afterwards, I will ask the students if there is any questions and respond accordingly. At the beginning of the year, the parents will receive my homework structure description. It would be very similar to the one at the end of these questions. Students and parents have the right and are promoted to comment on the homework assignments at any time.

7. How will I grade homework?

In every Friday Folder packet there is a rubric that the students fill out. The students personally judge whether or not they accomplished the assignments to the best of their ability. The teacher will review the packet and rubric and then discuss it with the student. The teacher will also take notes of the student’s progress, needs and any other relevant information.

8. How will homework aide in my tracking of progress, reviews and be recorded?

My homework assignments will aide in tracking because I will take notes on any relevant information concerning the students’ growth or learning needs. I will be able to see who needs more exposure to any given topic, who needs different types of exposure and who is ready to move on. I have a section in my grade book that I keep my records of homework. I don’t “grade” necessarily but take notes on what I see. I also track by using the rubric that the students fill out each week. I store them in my personal cabinet (locked unless I am there) in their folders.

9. How can my homework be accommodated in various content areas?

The teacher can easily alter the Friday Folder packet to accommodate various content areas. If there is a change in any of the assignments the teacher can make a flyer, write an email or post a message to the class blog for the parent to read that discusses the new or altered assignment. The teacher will also discuss the new assignment with the students prior to them taking it home.

10. What are the time expectations for homework?

Students have one week to accomplish the entire packet. On Friday, students will take home their Friday Folders with the teacher made packets already in them. The students will accomplish the assignments throughout the week. The following Friday, students will return the completed assignments and the accomplished rubric in their Friday Folder.

11. What is my long term homework structure? Friday Folders

Each Friday, I will give the students a homework packet to be accomplished and turned in the following Friday. In the Friday Folder, there will be specific activities for the student to accomplish, a parent letter that explains the week’s activities, any classroom updates and an area for the parent to write any comments.

Work Cited:

Hill, J.D. & Flynn, K.M. (2006) Classroom Instruction that Works with English Language Learners. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment